Monday, July 15, 2013

Rainy phone calls...


After John and I talked, I left to "run errands" so the kids would not see me in the state I was in and not hear me talking. I drove about 1/2 miles to the TJ Maxx parking lot. I wanted to go in and buy a journal to start writing the information I was getting and the millions of questions that were flying through my head. Before I could get out, the rain started. Not just a rain shower, a deluge. A downpour so strong and fierce I couldn't even call my Ob/Gyn as I couldn't even hear over the rain drops on the roof of the van. it matched my disposition perfectly. Dr.V beat me to the call and in his usual fashion, somehow made me laugh. He referred me to Dr. H with very high regards. I called her office, was told that she would be returning my call within 24 hours. Lesson one- this whole process of cancer is a waiting game. Many calls to friends and family have been understandably difficult. One in-particular, was to my friend Melissa. John and I and Bill and Melissa and all of our children are very close. We are our oldest daughters God parents. They are our best friends and I knew when I had told her and John, it meant that I really had cancer. Calling her was horrible, not only because it was as I would have imagined if the tables were turned. It was just such a blow but as usual, at the end of the conversation, we had agreed this news sucked, that I was going to kick cancers ass and that I would have an overwhelming amount of support doing so. Oh, and that we needed to meet at Toot's that night for wings and beer. That is our answer for pretty much everything....pregnant? New baby? Let's go to Toots and celebrate! New furnace? Toot's! Splinter? Toot's! Promotion? Want to avoid laundry? You get the point. 

During dinner that night, Dr. H called. I went to the car and we talked for about 45 minutes. I really liked her and am amazed how her name keeps coming up in different circumstances- all of them positive. She was going to schedule a breast MRI and squeezed me in for Wednesday, the 3rd at 4:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment