Sunday, July 7, 2013

Let's start at the beginning...

Well at least to the beginning part of this "new" life of ours. A life of a mother, wife, sister, friend just diagnosed with breast cancer. It all started at Christmas when I got on the scale and could not believe the number I was seeing. I didn't want to always feel tired. I didn't want my back to hurt. I wanted cute clothes that fit! I wanted to be a healthy role model for my kids. I did NOT want to be at the weight i was. So, with Faith, the wisdom of my cousin/friend and determination, I lost 50 pounds. I feel the healthiest and happiest now than I can remember...and I have some cute clothes to boot! I guess you can call my weight loss my first blessing, because without it, I never would have felt the lump in my left breast. I did what I was "supposed" to do. I waited through a cycle to see if anything changed. It didn't. On June 24, 2013, I called my Ob/Gyn and he scheduled a mammogram. They could get me in the next day. The 25th ended with me not only having a mammogram, but an ultrasound and a date for a core biopsy with my new best friend, the radiologist on the 27th. I was told that although I had SO many pluses going for me- age 43, having breast fed all 4 of my children, no genetic history of breast cancer, my mammogram looking "unremarkable" we still should do a biopsy since what the radiologist (Dr. P) saw and what I was feeling was irregularly shaped and large. I ignorantly had zero concerns at this time... Well, lets say little concern. June 27, 2013 had my ultrasound guided core biopsy and completely behaved myself if I do say so myself! I mean I watched the ultrasound tech like a hawk to make sure she followed sterile procedure! I even asked Dr.P if he wanted me to glove up and hold the US wand or help him with the butterfly sutures. :) I also asked him for a note for John to get out of doing laundry and dishes for a month... Dr. P said sorry but no to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment