Saturday, July 27, 2013

My Breast Friend...

The day that I decided to go to HHI, was also the morning I had to call Dr. K the reconstructive surgeon. We all needed to be on the same page so Dr. H and Dr. K could both be scheduled for my surgery.  I started talking to the receptionist and was told that appointments were about 10+ days out. Ugh, I really wanted to get a surgery date. (Clearly, I wasn't thinking as I was going to be in HHI for the next 7) as we were talking about dates, she stopped and said " oh wow! A cancellation has JUST popped up on my screen! There isn't anyway you would be able to come in TODAY at 2:15 is there? I have never seen that happen!".  Yet another blessing answered.
After making some calls to family and friends and cashing in some of my golden babysitting tickets, (more to come on those later) my sister-in-law Sue took the children and my friend Jill came with me as comical support, mental support and her fantastic writing skills. John was working and panicking about leaving for HHI, so I didn't even bother him about going to this meeting. He is coming back with me next Monday and I am hoping for another one liner like the one he had many years ago before Ellie was born at our birthing class.
Yet again, Jill was fantastic at asking questions I had never thought to ask and writing all of Dr. Ks information for me. I will admit, I completely underestimated the severity and issues that can arise from this surgery. And now that I have decided on a double mastectomy, I am having even more stress. The fact that I can't drive for 3 weeks (!) not only has me already feeling trapped but also a little worried that my four little blessings :) might have me duct taped to a chair at some point. I am only slightly kidding. :)
What if Starbucks is sending me the bat signal for an immediate iced coffee? What if Target has something on sale that I HAVE to go get? What if  I haven't had Chipotle in more than 4 DAYS?! You get my point. Yes, I know, it's a control thing. Yes, I know you are all VERY surprised by this. Ahem...
Back to Dr. K, basically, the short story is this... I will have expanders placed at the time of  my mastectomies. Every week or 2, I go into her office and she injects saline into the expanders to do just that,expand my skin. This is happening all during my chemo. Radiation is what screws me and my skin apparently. It just ruins skin tissue to the point where surgery and trying to surgically close radiated tissue is almost impossible. Dr. K said I have a 50/50 chance of my skin closing correctly after radiation and when she places the implants. Otherwise, she goes to plan B and will take skin from my back to use for my chest. OR I could pass on the expanders, wait the 6 a 12 months after radiation that I have to wait anyways for my implants to be placed, and will use the skin from my back. I am taking the 50/50 chance. Either it works and my back is spared from scars, or it doesn't and I end up with the same out come.
We also looked at what I call "the boob books." I really shouldn't be sassy about them since I will eventually be added to one of them. They are pictures of before, 3 months, 6 months and after implants. I also completely underestimated not only how " normal" looking the women's chests are but am amazed at the outcome. Did you know that you can have nipples tattooed on?! No, I will not be showing pictures here. But I have contemplated charging for feels... cough,cough...Bill...:)
After leaving Dr.Ks, Jill and I went to Starbucks to go over everything I had just been told. It's a weird place to be. On one hand, I like knowing and having the information. But on the other, I still can't believe we are talking about ME!
Sorry Jill, but I have to tell this ending as it truly one of the hardest times I can remember laughing.
After Starbucks, I dropped Jill off at her car in the very crowded Blue Ash Rec. Center pool parking lot. Jill got out of my van and was standing there with the door open and she kept looking around as I was profusely thanking her for going with me on a moments notice blah blah blah
And that is where she lifted up her shirt, bra and all and flashed me her girls. Yes, right in the parking lot. She said "we'll, I just saw your boobs for the last 2 hours and I felt like I needed to even the score and let you see mine. So there, we are even" I love you Jill not only for flashing me but for all of your help and  wonderful friendship. You are my BREAST friend!
 Again, I seriously cry I laugh so hard thinking back to that moment.

3 comments:

  1. if you are ever in need of anything, call Jonie's delivery and driving service. I hear she's really cheap and accommodating. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, I love Target and Chipotle also so anytime you need anything I will be happy to take care of your fix and bring whatever you need to you. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mommers here, Kate-a-roo-soo,
    Maggie had me laughing the other night about how you should turn your "current life situation" into a Snooty Tootie Sarah Fruity story! So, after you're finished here, cured, and your blog is done, you will become the billionairess author,known world wide for your fabulous stories and sense of humor!
    I missed your call on Sunday as I always work on Sunday. I purposely have not called you back as I know how much you have going on in your head....and life. The best plan is for you to call me on my cell, M-F. I can easily pick up or call you back when I am at Christ. I also, can go to an appointment or run an errand, at the drop of a hat, M-F. Nights and weekends at Pottery Barn, I can't even have a phone with me. I LOVED the HHI photos. You all look beautiful and obviously having an awesome time. As you say, you are truly blessed in your family and friends, but remember you had something to do with that!
    Ginna

    ReplyDelete