Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Lessons learned...

We have had some long days that finally caught up with me last night. Thankfully the kids have been so occupied by some ridiculously fun play dates, they are exhausted but are finishing the end of summer vacation with a bang. Thanks SO much to our friends that are making sure their bucket lists are beyond being filled. We also have had so many delicious dinners brought to us that some larger pants might be needed! I am not just talking about myself cough cough  I just keep thinking how unbelievable the power of prayer and the love of friends and family is. Again, John and I keep saying how we can't understand how people faced with a crisis get through even one day without prayer and the love and trust of God. Again, the blanket of love and prayers that I am constantly feeling is just beyond words. Thank you with all of my heart.
Yesterday was a long one. As I said before, Sarah and Ellie have been showing signs of "cancer related stress" (my words) and we went and saw Miss Rachel through the Cancer Family Care Center. I really think she is yet another hidden blessing. Both girls went in (one 11 year old NOT happy about it) and not only did the girls leave with better mind sets but I left knowing we had made the right choice to start counseling now instead of waiting and that both girls were feeling completely appropriate things and acting accordingly. I also think the 4 week program they and Henry are signed up for sounds fantastic. Both girls expressed they are nervous about starting school and worrying about me while they are there, so we are working on that.
After the counseling appointment, we went to the pediatricians because Ellie jammed her finger the night before in a basketball game. Now, I will be honest, yes, it looked painful, yes, I am sure it hurt... But, at this point of everything going on, how in the heck could I say "oh suck it up and let's wait a couple of days and see how it is" AND since our usual ped. was on vacation and we could get into my second favorite Dr. A, I thought FOR SURE she would say "oh yes you sweet precious girly basketball player... Suck it up youjammedyourfinger!" But no much to my surprise, shenthoughtntheremreallymmight be a chance of itmbeing fractured and we got a referral to have Ellie's hand X-rayed. I just walked out of there shaking my head. From there, my sweet sister-in-law whom has not stopped playing,cleaning,organizing,vacuuming, entertaining, bathing, feeding myself and my children for weeks now drove us for the fastest inhalaling of skyline ever and then home so I could meet John so we could go to my first check with the plastic surgeon since surgery.
All went well with Dr. K. I got my drains out (woohoo!) and the clearance to shower and shave (think Sasquatch - not kidding and I even kind of cheated once) I do have to keep my straight jacket Velcro bra on and kept snug but I'll take it! I still can't drive until I feel able to completely move my arms and react accordingly which I am praying for next Wednesday, the kids first day of school. I know I will survive if someone else has to drive us but I will guarantee I will be in that car with them. John is just happy for someone else to be driving them as they have a much better chance of being on time...ahem... I still blame Henry for last years tardiness.
Anyway, after Dr. Ks, John and I ran to Target for my prescription refills and before he was taking E to have her hand X-rayed. THAT is where I hit the wall. I felt so beyond horrible you just would not believe. I started sweating and was freezing and my teeth were chattering and I thought I was going to get sick. It was horrible. John got me home (I am skipping the part here where the sweetest lady that knows my SIL Sue and goes to St. Gerts was just at our door when we got home and I thought I might pass out- I promise to tell it later) and I got into bed and slept and slept and slept some more. Just way too much too soon. Lesson learned!
Tomorrow morning is a dermatology appointment that I was going to cancel even though it took me 3 months for this appt. and the Dr. comes highly reccommended but they talked me into going saying that I guess chemo and radiation really screws with your skin and to get a base line before hand would be really smart... Blahblahblah.

Again everyone praying and sending cards and texts and emails and the most beautiful cross stitch that is the first thing I see in the morning and the last to see at night, and chemo bags and just...everything. You are making me realize that I was not a very good friend to those in need and I can't wait to be able to pay all of it forward. Yet another life lesson I am learning.



Smooches

5 comments:

  1. Your body will remind you to take care of Kate!

    Hugs and prayers your way every day!! -Tracie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers and Hugs coming to you daily...Eat, Sleep, Pray. You are in good hands!
    Love,Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Kate. I will drive you and your kids to school on Wednesday.
    My kids will be on the bus after a not very tears farewell, so I can pick you and
    Yours up for the drop off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blog doesn't lie...you clearly over did it! Glad you were forced to the bed for sleep.....keep knowing that you need to come first, as hard as it is to realize and do. So glad that you got rest and are feeling better. Miss Rachel sounds like a blessing and what a wonderful thing you and John are doing for the kids to recognize their needs before they do.
    Many prayers!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...what Kris said!

    (((hugs)))
    Julie Stratman

    ReplyDelete