Saturday, August 17, 2013

Back in the saddle...

Well, you can say I'm back in the saddle of stress, anxiety, tears and such. We- John and my trusty sidekick with excellent penmanship Melissa went to my first Oncology appt. with Dr. Ward yesterday. Yes, his name really is Dr. Ward and if you know much about my young adulthood until present, you know for good reason, I pretty much adore anyone with the last name Ward. :) And yes, I will admit that I took his name as a sign (a good one) and also made him my first choice of Oncologists to meet with.
This Ward needs to grow on me a bit.
We had a 2:00 appointment and although we waited for him for a while, we didn't leave the building until 5:17pm. Can you say brain overload? He is very nice and easy going. He is HUGE on Clinical Trials... which if you have known me during my career life, you will also know that CTs and I have had our fun and I don't ever want to be involved in that "world" again. Or so I thought... I am for sure in one and possibly two. More on them in  another post and J and E... stop laughing hysterically.

The facts:
I am 99% sure my first chemo treatment will be August 29
This is a Thursday and I am having anxiety trying to see into the future and figure out how I will be handling the chemo and do I want my "bad" days to be on the weekends when the kids will be home or start on a Monday and have my "bad" days be more when at least 3 of the kids will be in school the majority of my day. Don't laugh, this is a HUGE stressor for me and all of the pros and cons are just telling me to just forget everything and run for the hills. Which we know I won't do.
No time is a good time to have chemo...
I will be given Taxotere and Cytoxan along with a slew of other meds to counter act the side effects of the chemos.
I will have 6 treatments every three weeks


I feel like I again am having an out of body experience...again. Yesterday, we were sitting in the room with Dr. W- John to my left and Melissa to my right and I just kept looking around thinking " Is he freaking talking to ME?!?!" " I can't stinking believe we are talking about ME?!!"

I also feel like since the second he said to start chemo on the 29th, an immediate ticking clock started in my head and just won't stop. Just like when I got my surgery date of August 1st.
Again, I know (at least I am pretty sure) I can do this. I am praying for my Faith, Wisdom and Grace even more now because I really feel like I will be needing everything I can get. Every good thought. Every prayer coming my way. Every ounce of belief I have to make sure I can get through the 6 treatments with the most grace possible to show the children that with the above all combined, wonderful blessings and good things come out of even the hardest of times.

I have many posts that I am working on so be prepared :) but honestly, I am so tired right now I just need to close these old eyes.

6 comments:

  1. How surreal it all sounds. Lots of foreign drug names, so many dates and schedules and dos and don'ts. Again, Melissa is your right hand at this time and I believe she has it under control, just like God. Keep that faith strong, we all are prayer out here and then Wisdom and Grace follow. Get your sleep and we will look for the next awesome posting when school starts and we find out if you drove or were in the front seat pulling Henry out again!
    Hugs
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending love, prayers, and positive thoughts your way.
    Love,
    The Dobelhoffs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello my Special Friend,
    Thank you for the post. So many from your former professional life have asked about you...

    As I often do, I asked God this morning at church how can I help Kate? And just as often God has answered me through scripture and today
    through a poweful sermon. I wrote a few things down to share with you and comfort you...

    God lifted Joseph out of the pit and out of incredible agony and brought to him incredible Victory!

    Life in the pit is Not permanent, waiting for the Lord's answers can be painful but will always be gainfully received!

    We serve a God that makes All thing new!

    When our future plans are one with God's future plans Great things happen!

    Huge hugs! Tracie C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking about you all the time, and praying for you constantly. Stay positive Kate! You got this...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Breathe.in.Breathe.out!
    "Every good thought. Every prayer coming my way. "
    You have that coming from me!

    ((hugs))
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm following you and wish you well. I'm Carrie Langworthy's friend, she sent me your blog. I'm a recent melanoma survivor so don't skip out on that derm appt! :) I'm taking turkey tail mushroom supplements to build my immune system right now as chemo/radiation does not help melanoma. I watched a convincing video, I'll pass it on to you. Also, please look into Ava Anderson products for personal and home care. They are non toxic. Take care!!!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXHDoROh2hA (FF to 7:50)

    http://www.avaandersonnontoxic.com/default.aspx

    Melanie Evans

    ReplyDelete