Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thanksgivings new meaning...

I find it a bit humorous that on one hand I definitely have "chemo brain" and am amazed I can find my way to the bathroom, yet so often, my brain is constantly shuffling through the many blessings I/we have been given this year alone. I know how around thanksgiving, people say that we really should dedicate more than one day to be "thankful" for all of our blessings... And I can honestly say not only do I agree, but could not go through a day beating cancer without my constantly changing, running list of things, people, strangers, friends, family, saying, humor, websites, children etc. that I am SO very thankful for. Besides prayer, it is the top "thing" that keeps me grounded and positive. I have said and truly believe, the blessings bestowed upon our family FAR outweigh having to fight cancer.
Chemo #5 has been tenfold better than #4- I am happy to say. No walk in the park, mind you but tolerable. We had a later appointment time last Friday and didn't leave until almost dark. It really threw my timing. I had such horrible restless legs this time that they gave me 2 doses of Ativan. Which also helped calm my nerves which were sky high. Yet again, Melissa and Bill took the kids and have them again as of last night. Just no words for their friendship and love. No words worthy for what they have done for us. I am in tears just typing. How do you ever repay or even thank friends that love and care for your children completely like they are their own (even though Margo gets away with murder there) when you can't? Not just once, but for MONTHS now. Yesterday, when we decided that yet again, Melissa would pick the kids up from school and take them for the night so I could really rest for thanksgiving and Black Friday (my favorite day of the year with Melissa) I was just so deeply sad. Sad that I haven't seen the kids really since last Thursday. They were gone for the weekend and then had school. I hate that I feel like I can't contribute to their care but at the same time, am SO thankful for those that are caring for them. It will get better! My last chemo is scheduled for December, Friday the 13th... As many of you know, I am a numbers girl and find this date SO fitting for my last chemo.
Last Monday was a busy day. What should have been my roughest day, turned out to be better than I could have imagined. My friend/ sister Jil flew in from Wisconsin for Thanksgiving with her Dad/ my adoptive dad... We don't have time to go into all of that. :) and drove from Columbus for the night to visit. AND the stars lined up perfectly that other friends and I were supposed to go to The Pioneer Woman book signing that night so Jil could go too! We both love PW and feel that we should totally be invited to The Ranch. My heart was filled with such happiness to be able to go and be with 3 of my closest friends and actually enjoy a night out so close to having chemo.



I wish you all the happiest of Thanksgivings. Make your list of "thankfuls "and try to add to it daily. I promise you will be amazed how filled your heart will become.

Smooches, Kate 

1 comment:

  1. Kate - Hope all is well, you look great! Happy Holidays to you and the family!

    And thanks for The Pioneer Woman book plug - I bought one for my Mom, she's going to love it!

    Hugs - Tracie C

    ReplyDelete