Saturday, October 19, 2013

Trouble maker, luminaries and whatnot...

This is going to have to be quick as we have a very special night planned! We have become friends with a St. Gertrude family that just so happens the dad is the new head coach for the Cincinnati Cyclones hockey team! Today/tonight is their opening game and they have invited the whole family! Clearly, they do not know us very well. :) I can NOT tell you how excited the kids are to go! Which makes a guilty momma with breast cancer extra happy that we have been allowed this opportunity. Ellie and Sarah just left with the mom and her two girls to go and walk the Cyclones 5k breast cancer walk! Thank you Beth for taking them! I was THIS close to temporary insanity and so tempted to go and walk it with them, but after the week I have had, came to my senses.

My 3rd round wasn't so pretty (shocker?) I was very nauseous this time and made sure to set alarms to take my meds on time. Sunday was also our 13th anniversary... I spent it sleeping and John to soccer games. Not our favorite one but still are blessed to be married to each other!

The worst part besides just being run down was....

My allergic reaction to my one chemo med Taxotere  a week after chemo! Ugh! Thursday, Margo and I went to the kids school mass and during my head started itching like crazy. By the time I got home, my head and ears had hives all over them! Then my knees and elbows! Then hands and feet were swelling. Ugh again. After conversations with my sister, my bestie nurse Liz (props to Liz for calling allergic reaction and not shingles)  and the on call doc, I took a boat load
of Benadryl and the next morning, after the children's conferences, I busted over to the doctors for steroids and confirmation that it was an allergic reaction. It's actually not the chemo, but the Petroleum base they have to mix the chemo in. Ugh again. I am happy to say that the steroids are working, my rings are back on. And although still itchy, I am on the upswing.

The beginning of the week another surprise hit our front steps. Thank you Deb and Michele yet again for making us all smile and laugh. It was totally worth getting out of bed.
Henry, Margo and myself have started reading Charlotte's Web when we can all stay awake. John took this right after he woke me up. It's a good thing he didn't have to carry me upstairs to bed like he did with the other two!



1 comment:

  1. Kate, we're half way through October. Send John to the store with stamps, dies, paper, ink or whatever you want your cards done with. The gov. shutdown really killed my business, & it's still slow. I can stamp & diecut all the stuff for you so you can just color & assemble. No stress for you this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete